Vegan – Dairy Free – Gluten Free – Refined Sugar Free
Although the ingredient list for Deliciously Ella’s Christmas Nut Roast is super long… all of the ingredients are easy to get hold of in your local super market:
- 1 medium leek
- 2 medium carrots
- 3 field mushrooms
- 1 red pepper
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 250g of dried apricots (1 1/4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons of fresh finely chopped sage
- 1 tablespoon of fresh, finely chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon of dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon of ground or grated nutmeg
- 4 tablespoons of milled flaxseed mixed with 12 tablespoons water
- 100g of almonds (1 cup)
- 100g of brazil nuts (1 cup)
- 100g of hazelnuts (1 cup)
- 100g of buckwheat flour (1 cup)
- olive oil
- salt and pepper
For the Cranberry Sauce…
- 250g of cranberries (2 cups)
- The juice of one big orange
- 50g of coconut sugar (6 tablespoons)
- 4 tablespoons of maple syrup
Tip : For many recipes we suggest interchanging maple syrup and honey – don’t do it with this one! The honey didn’t work in the cranberry sauce – it was way too sticky and thick!
This recipe isn’t very difficult, but it has lots of steps, which makes it a bit of a fussy one! There was quite a lot of washing up after the nut roast, but the good thing is this is a recipe you can easily make ahead of time, and just pop it in the oven when you’re ready. So you don’t have to worry about a thing when your guests arrive!
The thing that took the longest with this recipe was chopping up all the veg and herbs – it took us forever! But once your past that hurdle, it all gets a bit quicker and a big chunk of the recipe time is cooking the nut roast in the oven!
- One thing we would say is definitely leave the nut roast to stand when it comes out of the oven – Ella says this is to bind it together. We rushed our first attempt and it crumbled apart (as you can see in the video!). We were more patient on our second (and third!) attempts and it held together much better and we were able to slice it!
- Ella recommends using a potato masher to help compress the nut loaf into the tin before baking – this worked really well, so make sure you’ve got your masher to hand!
- We definitely recommend using a LARGE sauce pan for all the veg – there is so much we struggled to fit it all in one go!
- Also, make sure you don’t forget to mix the milled flaxseed with 12 tablespoons of water and leave for 10 minutes – the recipe is a little confusing here! Do this right at the beginning before you chop your veg, then its ready to go when you need it later in the recipe.
This is a super healthy Christmas dinner option – it is packed full of SO much goodness – it has tons of veg and nuts which pack the nut loaf with vitamins, minerals, protein and fibre!
TASTE & TEXTURE
We were so surprised with how good this Christmas nut roast tastes, because in all honesty, it doesn’t LOOK that great. However, a non-vegetarian, meat-loving tester LOVED IT… and he had seconds! We loved the sage and rosemary – they flavour the nut roast so well and make it taste so Christmassy, and the chunks of apricots gave it a lovely sweetness.
The texture was just like stuffing – which is one of the best textures of all!
We weren’t too keen on the cranberry sauce, it was super thick, sticky and over sweet, but I think that’s because we swapped maple syrup for honey – OOPS! (If you’ve made this, let us know how it went with maple syrup!)
Tip: Try not to over blitz the nuts – we made ours a little too small, it would have been nice to have some chunkier pieces (oh well, next time!)
#NAILEDIT OR #FAILED IT?
Deliciously Ella’s Christmas Nut Roast is DELICIOUS! It’s an awesome vegan alternative that anyone would love on Christmas day… Ok, so lets be realistic… it’s not going to replace turkey for meat eaters, but it’s a great option for vegetarians/ vegans/ plant-based guests that you have – much better than any Quorn or shop bought nut roast we’ve been given before!
If you are looking for a Christmas recipe for meat alternative for the Christmas season, we would definitely recommend this recipe – just make it ahead and follow our tips above!
The Health Mix
Have you tried this Deliciously Ella recipe? Do you think she #nailedit or #failedit with this recipe? Let us know in the comments!
We would love to see your creations so tag us in your instagram photos @the_health_mix and remember… #nailedit or #failedit?